Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Composting Indoors


A few weeks I did something I've been meaning to do for the longest time . . . I bought a worm condo! For those of you who are laughing/confused, let me explain. In the interest of cutting down on garbage (since at least half of it is biodegrable food) and time (I live quite a distance from the nearest farmers market/community garden compost drop-off), I decided it was time to invest in my own personal compost system. Enter the Lower East Side Ecology Center, which is a great local compost resource. They sell "worm condos", which includes a large breathable container and a pound of worms. If you call to reserve one, you can pick it up at the Union Square Farmers Market on Saturdays. After you get it home, tear up a bunch of newspaper, make it damp, and voila! your worms have a bed. Dump the worms on top and watch them burrow underneath. Now for the fun part - feed your worms any natural food waste (bury it underneath the bedding) and watch them make vermicompost! Worms are the best pet - they take very little maintenance, but they are 100% effective at their job - making you a sustainable urbanite! For more info on how to take care of your worms, check out the LESEC page.

No comments: