Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Making My Own Kombucha


If you're like me, you can hardly go 24 hours without cracking open a cold one - and by that i mean a delicious bottle of GT's Kombucha. The fermented tea beverage - which tastes like an astringent carbonated juice - has cured my mid-day slump and helped me digest meals better. However, at about $5 a pop, all the wonderful health benefits had started to pale in comparison to how empty my wallet looked, so I decided to try and make Kombucha myself. Using my easy online instructions and a "starter" from my store-bought Kombucha, I set the sweet tea and "scoby" (mother culture) in a covered bowl inside a kitchen cabinet for two weeks. When I checked the concoction, it had grown into a massive culture, just as promised! I tasted the liquid, which was a just the right combination of sweet and sour, bottled it in an old Kombucha container, and put it in the fridge. Voila! I can now make as many batches as I want - and only pay for the cost of tea and sugar. Next, I'm going to add my own fruit juices to flavor it. Good luck, Kombucha-lovers, and email me anytime you have questions!
Details:
Seeds of Health Instructions
*Note: You can also use agave or honey instead of white sugar!

No comments: